SL top judge faces 14 charges on impeachment
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s Chief Justice is facing 14 charges of misconduct and financial impropriety in the motion of impeachment presented against her in the parliament Tuesday.
Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa informed the parliament the receipt of the motion signed by 117 MPs of the ruling party.
The motion was placed on parliament`s order book and the Speaker called a meeting of party leaders to discuss the issue.
The charges include the purchasing of property, "by paying a sum of Rs 19,362,500 in cash, the manner in which such sum of money was earned had not been disclosed," the impeachment motion read.
She was charged of not declaring in her annual declaration her assets and liabilities, the details of approximately Rs 34 million in foreign currency deposited at a bank.
She is also charged of failing to declare details of more than 20 bank accounts maintained in various banks.
The motion notes tha Pradeep Kariyawasam, the lawful husband of Bandaranayake, is a suspect in relation to legal action initiated at the Magistrate`s Court of Colombo in connection with the offences regarding acts of bribery and/or corruption.
The impeachment of Bandranayake, 54 was the culmination of months of a dispute between the government and the judiciary.
Parliamentary officials said the next step would be the appointment of a select committee to probe the charges.
The Rajapaksa government was angered by an earlier ruling of the court that the `Divi Naguma` bill, as it is called, needs to be approved by the island`s nine provincial councils before being adopted in parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan