SL top judge faces 14 charges on impeachment
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s Chief Justice is facing 14 charges of misconduct and financial impropriety in the motion of impeachment presented against her in the parliament Tuesday.
Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa informed the parliament the receipt of the motion signed by 117 MPs of the ruling party.
The motion was placed on parliament`s order book and the Speaker called a meeting of party leaders to discuss the issue.
The charges include the purchasing of property, "by paying a sum of Rs 19,362,500 in cash, the manner in which such sum of money was earned had not been disclosed," the impeachment motion read.
She was charged of not declaring in her annual declaration her assets and liabilities, the details of approximately Rs 34 million in foreign currency deposited at a bank.
She is also charged of failing to declare details of more than 20 bank accounts maintained in various banks.
The motion notes tha Pradeep Kariyawasam, the lawful husband of Bandaranayake, is a suspect in relation to legal action initiated at the Magistrate`s Court of Colombo in connection with the offences regarding acts of bribery and/or corruption.
The impeachment of Bandranayake, 54 was the culmination of months of a dispute between the government and the judiciary.
Parliamentary officials said the next step would be the appointment of a select committee to probe the charges.
The Rajapaksa government was angered by an earlier ruling of the court that the `Divi Naguma` bill, as it is called, needs to be approved by the island`s nine provincial councils before being adopted in parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured