Slap for Nepal politician sparks Internet campaign
Kathmandu: A Nepalese man who slapped a politician in frustration at the lack of progress in the troubled country has sparked a popular Internet support campaign after striking a chord with fellow citizens.
Devi Prasad Regmi, 55, hit the chairman of the UML (Unified Marxist and Leninist) party across the face at an event for new members last Thursday, later telling reporters he had been overcome by a sudden fit of anger.
He accused Nepal`s politicians of "destroying the country" -- a charge that has won him mass support in the blogosphere. A website set up in his name carries messages of support from hundreds of Nepalese well-wishers.
"Devi Prasad Regmi is a brave son of Nepal. The slap was not just for the party chairman, but for all the other party leaders too," posted Surya Kumar Nembang on the site, www.deviprasadregmi.info.
One posting on a Facebook page set up in Regmi`s honour said he had "acted for 30 million Nepalese" when he struck UML chairman Jhalanath Khanal, who stood for election as prime minister last year.
Nepal has been without a government for more than six months because of bitter disagreements between the political parties.
Sixteen rounds of voting in parliament have failed to produce a new leader and the lack of leadership is hampering development in one of the world`s poorest countries.
Work on drafting a new Constitution intended to draw the line under a decade of civil war has stalled, and optimism after the end of the conflict in 2006 has given way to a growing sense of frustration.
Chiranjibi Paudel, a columnist in the Nepalese-language newspaper Naya Patrika, said the incident was an expression of widespread public feeling.
"Devi Prasad`s slap is a symbol of people`s revolt. It can be stopped only if the leaders ensure peace and make sure that the constitution is drafted in time," he wrote.
Regmi was arrested and detained, but has since been released on bail. He reportedly faces a charge of disturbing the peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!