SL`s main opposition aims to capture power by 2014
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main opposition UNP on Saturday said it would strengthen its grassroots machinery in a bid to capture power from the "dictatorship" of President Mahinda Rajapaksa and claimed that the present government would not serve its full term.
Addressing a party gathering in the central town of Kandy, United National Party (UNP) leader Ranil Wickremesinghe called for military discipline among the party cadres in order to fight Rajapaksa.
The next parliamentary election is not due until 2016 but Wickremsinghe predicts the government would not last its full term and there will be elections by 2014.
"What we are seeing today is a dictatorship. We have to strengthen the party grass roots machinery to capture power," Wickremesinghe said.
The UNP has spent all but two years in government since 1994. The party`s continued election losses are being blamed on his leadership. The UNP has suffered constant defections of its members to the government since 1994.
The opposition remains divided and fragmented as Rajapaksa continued to enjoy popularity among the island`s Sinhala majority community as a result of his military action which defeated the LTTE campaign for a separate Tamil state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda