Slum fire kills 11 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 11 people, mostly women and children, were killed and several others injured Sunday in a fire that ripped through a massive slum on the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital.
The fire was apparently ignited from a mosquito coil and soon engulfed the entire slum in the Hazaribagh area here, officials said.
Eleven people, including six women, four children and one man, were killed in the fire, they said.
"We recovered the 11 charred bodies...Seven people were sent to hospital with severe burn injuries," fire service official Ruhul Amin said.
Several private television channels, however, quoting witnesses put the toll as high as 14 in the fire that burnt down some 100 shanties.
The reports said the fire started at around 3 am (local time) in the morning and several fire engines reached the scene within a short time but it took fire fighters hours to douse the blaze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof