Soldier, 7 militants die in clash in Pakistan’s Swat
Islamabad: Pakistan`s military says one soldier and seven militants have died in a gunbattle in the northwestern Swat Valley, where the Army has waged a four-month-old offensive against the Taliban.
An Army statement Wednesday says the clash came as security forces were conducting a search operation in the Charai area. It says 23 suspected militants were arrested in other areas of the valley over the previous 24 hours.
The valley, once a tourist haven, is slowly returning to normal as most of the 2 million people displaced by the offensive return.
Still, none of the Taliban`s top leaders are confirmed to have been killed or captured and pockets of resistance remain.
Late last month, a suicide bombing at a Swat police station killed 17 cadets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed