Some US troops to stay in Afghanistan till 2024: Report
Washington: A US plan, outlined recently in the US media, has stated that American troops will stay in Afghanistan until 2024 as Washington will not allow the Taliban to take over that country.
The Obama administration``s new Afghan policy has now also been confirmed by the outgoing US ambassador to Kabul, Ryan Crocker, reports The Dawn.
Crocker has said the American military, including some combat troops, will stay in Afghanistan for at least 10 years after the expected US withdrawal in 2014.
According to US media reports, the troops will include Special Forces soldiers and an effective air power to contain the rebels.
Crocker added that the new plan was also acceptable to Pakistan, which recently allowed two Taliban representatives to travel to Japan to attend a June 28 international conference on Afghanistan.
He noted that the Kyoto meeting might have had some tacit support from Pakistan, where much of the top Taliban leadership is based.
Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate, he said, was likely keeping tabs on insurgents and their travels.
"They had to get out of Pakistan to get there. My guess is that the ISI said, `OK`," Crocker said.
He gave two reasons for this change in the ISI`s and Taliban`s attitude: One, Pakistan is increasingly feeling the ``blowback`` of terrorism, two, the US plan to stay in Afghanistan at least up to 2024.
The US plan, he argued, had made it abundantly clear that Washington would not accept a Taliban takeover in Kabul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!