Son-in-law not involved in defence supplies: Fonseka
Colombo: Terming it as mud slinging on his family, retired Army chief and Presidential aspirant Sarath Fonseka on Sunday said his son-in law was in no way involved in delivery of aircraft or weapons for the Sri Lankan security forces.
Fonseka said the defence procurement during the peak of the LTTE war was being done by a committee. "There is allegation against my family. There is a mud slinging campaign.”
“If all they have said about my son-in-law---if he had delivered MIGs to the airforce, if he has purchased multi barrels and if he is getting 2 cents from all the ammunitions he purchased, then I would have been the richest person in the country and the world," Fonseka said.
"And all the military purchases and combat equipment are purchased through Lanka Logistics consisting of Secretary defence (Gotabhaya Rajapaksa) as the chairman," Fonseka told a crowded news conference.
He said all the financial negotiations on defence purchases are done by the Secretary Defence and the Ministry of Defence.
He said as the he Army commander he was only involved with the technical aspects of the weapons system and ammunitions.
Fonseka said his son was studying in the US and he had no involvement at all in the defence purchases for the country as alleged by some.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day