South Afghan attacks kill 35, including 13 police: Official
Last Updated: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 21:47
  
Kabul: Coordinated explosions in a key southern Afghan city killed 35 people and injured another 57, a government spokesman said on Sunday.

Suicide bomb attacks and crude bomb blasts rocked Kandahar city yesterday, causing widespread carnage and panic in an assault later claimed by the militant Taliban, interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashery said.

"A total of 35 people were killed -- 13 police officers and 22 civilians," he told reporters, adding that the 57 injured included 40 civilians and 17 police officers. He said the city had been hit by five suicide bomb attacks and improvised bomb explosions at 2100 IST yesterday.

Kandahar's provincial governor Turyalai Wisa said earlier that seven explosions had hit the city, in what appears to be the biggest coordinated attack in Afghanistan since the start of a Taliban insurgency in 2001.

He told reporters early today the casualty figure could rise as rescue workers were still searching the rubble for bodies.

A Taliban spokesman, named as Yousuf Ahmadi, said to a news agency that the militants had carried out the attack at Kandahar's main prison and targeted other government buildings around the city.

Wisa said around 25 shops and up to seven houses near the prison were destroyed in the blast. At least 10 people, including women and children, attending a wedding celebration in a nearby function hall were among the dead, Wisa said.

PTI


First Published: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 21:47


comments powered by Disqus