South Afghan attacks kill 35, including 13 police: Official
Kabul: Coordinated explosions in a key
southern Afghan city killed 35 people and injured another 57,
a government spokesman said on Sunday.
Suicide bomb attacks and crude bomb blasts rocked
Kandahar city yesterday, causing widespread carnage and panic
in an assault later claimed by the militant Taliban, interior
ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashery said.
"A total of 35 people were killed -- 13 police
officers and 22 civilians," he told reporters, adding that the
57 injured included 40 civilians and 17 police officers.
He said the city had been hit by five suicide bomb
attacks and improvised bomb explosions at 2100 IST yesterday.
Kandahar`s provincial governor Turyalai Wisa said
earlier that seven explosions had hit the city, in what
appears to be the biggest coordinated attack in Afghanistan
since the start of a Taliban insurgency in 2001.
He told reporters early today the casualty figure
could rise as rescue workers were still searching the rubble
A Taliban spokesman, named as Yousuf Ahmadi, said to a news agency
that the militants had carried out the attack at Kandahar`s
main prison and targeted other government buildings around the
Wisa said around 25 shops and up to seven houses near
the prison were destroyed in the blast. At least 10 people,
including women and children, attending a wedding celebration
in a nearby function hall were among the dead, Wisa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read