‘Spectre of terror exists in Asia after Mumbai attacks’
Colombo: Sri Lankan Prime Minister
Ratnasiri Wickremanayake on Tuesday warned that the spectre of
terror loomed large in Asia ever since the Mumbai attacks that
killed 166 people, including foreigners.
"The chances of terror (attacks) has been there ever
since the Mumbai attack and the shadow has also fallen on Sri
Lanka," Wickremanayake told Parliament while speaking on the
emergency legislation, two days prior to the General
The Parliament also voted to extend the emergency laws
in the country. It was passed with 58 votes for and 5 voting
A special session of parliament was convened today to
vote the legislation to extend emergency laws. The Parliament
was dissolved in February.
While the main Opposition United National Party
members were not present in parliament during the voting, the
Pro-LTTE Tamil National Alliance and the Buddhist party
Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna abstained from voting.
The Prime Minister said the government would not give
any room for the remnants of LTTE to revive the outfit.
On those criticizing the emergency, the Prime Minister
reminded the Opposition that the global community has lauded
Sri Lankan government for uprooting the LTTE.
He said the emergency measures to a great extent
helped the security forces to tackle the Tiger rebels.
Wickremanayake said the government was, however,
considering removing some provisions in the emergency laws
that will have no bearing on the national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video