Spokesperson of radical Sunni Muslim group killed in Karachi
Karachi: At least eight people, including a spokesperson of a radical Sunni Muslim group, were killed on Sunday in separate incidents of target killings in Pakistan`s port city of Karachi.
Maulana Akbar Saeed Farooqi, the spokesman of Sunni Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASWJ), was shot by unidentified gunmen on motorcycles near Safari Park in Karachi`s Gulshan-i-Iqbal area, police said.
Farooqi was returning after attending a rally organised by the organisation in Lasbela Chowk when the attack took place, they said.
He was shifted to a hospital for treatment where he succumbed to his wounds, Dawn reported.
Supporters of ASWJ surrounded the hospital and after learning of his death, they protested and raised slogans.
The ASWJ is an offshoot of the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba.
In a separate incident, unidentified persons killed two people in Sector A area of Karachi`s Surjani town. The situation in the locality was tense after the incident.
Another person was gunned down in New Karachi`s Ayub Goth area.
One person was also killed in Zia colony of Karachi`s Korangi area whereas another was killed in Korangi area`s Bilal colony area.
Two bodies, bearing marks of torture, were recovered from the Korangi Creek in Ibrahim Hyderi area of Karachi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre