Spokesperson of radical Sunni Muslim group killed in Karachi
Karachi: At least eight people, including a spokesperson of a radical Sunni Muslim group, were killed on Sunday in separate incidents of target killings in Pakistan`s port city of Karachi.
Maulana Akbar Saeed Farooqi, the spokesman of Sunni Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASWJ), was shot by unidentified gunmen on motorcycles near Safari Park in Karachi`s Gulshan-i-Iqbal area, police said.
Farooqi was returning after attending a rally organised by the organisation in Lasbela Chowk when the attack took place, they said.
He was shifted to a hospital for treatment where he succumbed to his wounds, Dawn reported.
Supporters of ASWJ surrounded the hospital and after learning of his death, they protested and raised slogans.
The ASWJ is an offshoot of the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba.
In a separate incident, unidentified persons killed two people in Sector A area of Karachi`s Surjani town. The situation in the locality was tense after the incident.
Another person was gunned down in New Karachi`s Ayub Goth area.
One person was also killed in Zia colony of Karachi`s Korangi area whereas another was killed in Korangi area`s Bilal colony area.
Two bodies, bearing marks of torture, were recovered from the Korangi Creek in Ibrahim Hyderi area of Karachi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- LeJ terrorists involved in Lanka cricket team attack killed
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat