Sri Lanka allows Channel 4 to cover CHOGM
Colombo: Britain`s Channel 4, whose staff was blacklisted in Sri Lanka after it produced a documentary on alleged war crimes in the nation, was on Monday allowed into the country to cover the CHOGM summit amidst protest by nationalist groups.
"We have given then a chance to correct themselves. They did a lot of damage through their misinformation campaign. We branded them mercenaries," Keheliya Rambukwella the Minister of Information said.
On their arrival, the team was mobbed by protesters angry at their reporting of the army`s actions during the final days of the civil war in the country.
The channel 4 has aired a series of documentaries which highlighted alleged human rights abuses carried out by the government troops in the last stages of government`s military campaign against the LTTE.
Their documentaries titled `Sri Lanka killing fields` and `no fire zone` was condemned by the government which described them as fabrications.
A group calling itself the Forum to Build National Harmony staged a protest at the Colombo airport when the Channel 4 crew landed.
They later moved to the crew`s Colombo hotel front to demonstrate.
"We protest to the government for giving them visas," a protester said.
Sources said the British authorities had made it mandatory for Sri Lanka to ensure media access into the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad