Sri Lanka announces new scheme for dual citizenship
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Thursday announced a new scheme to encourage those who have settled abroad to return home under a plan to revamp its dual citizenship laws.
Under the new scheme called `Overseas Sri Lankans`, facilities would be extended to persons who have terminated their Sri Lanka citizenship to enter Sri Lanka and to stay in the country, said Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, the acting government spokesperson.
Abeywardene said the Local Citizenship Act would be amended accordingly.
The new criterion for dual citizenship is to ensure that Sri Lanka would benefit by the scheme, he said.
The government, early last year, had announced that the existing dual citizenship laws needed a review and suspended the dual citizenship scheme.
It was estimated that more than 3,500 people of Sri Lankan-origin who hold citizenship in foreign countries had enjoyed the dual citizenship status up until then.
At the time of review a person seeking dual citizenship in Sri Lanka was required to hold a university degree or at least a two-year diploma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year