Sri Lanka appoints reconciliation commission
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Monday appointed a reconciliation commission to investigate the country`s ethnic conflict and make recommendations to prevent a recurrence, officials said.
The appointment came as the country marked the first anniversary of the end of the 26-year war against separatist Tamil rebels.
The commission was given a mandate to investigate only events since February 2002, when an aborted ceasefire came into force.
The commission, headed by former attorney general Chitta Ranjan de Silva, was charged with recommending methods of compensating those affected by the conflict or their dependents.
Within the next six months, it is to recommend administrative and legislative measures to prevent any recurrence of a similar conflict, and to promote national unity and reconciliation among Sri Lanka`s ethnic communities.
The commission was appointed after the UN and other international organisations urged a review of alleged human rights abuses in the final stages of the war.
UN estimates suggest that more than 7,500 civilians were killed in the final months, before rebel leader Velupillai Prabhakaran was killed May 19, ending the conflict.
However, the commission`s mandate does not make any specific reference to alleged human rights abuses. The conflict claimed an estimated 100,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead