Sri Lanka arrests 19 Indian fishermen, seizes 5 boats
Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities have arrested 19 Indian fishermen and seized five boats when they were allegedly fishing in the country`s waters.
A total of 19 fishermen were arrested north of the Jaffna Delft islet late last night, Navy spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said here today.
Warnakulasuriya said Indians were arrested as they had entered Sri Lankan waters defying recent agreements reached at talks between both the countries.
They have been brought to the Kankesanturai port, he added.
The Navy official said the latest arrest has raised the number of Indians in Sri Lankan captivity since the talks to 57.
In Tamil Nadu, officials said the fishermen were part of a group of about 4,000 fishermen who had put out to sea last night from the coastal town of Rameswaram and Jegathapattinam and Kottaipattinam hamlets.
The officials said the Sri Lankan naval personnel came in three boats and detained the fishermen, who were fishing near Katchateevu islet.
The naval personnel also cut the fishing nets of 20 boats and took them away, they said.
During a meeting last month, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and his Sri Lankan counterpart G L Peiris have agreed that the two sides would remain engaged to ensure that fishermen on both sides can continue to pursue their livelihood in a safe, secure and sustainable manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users