Sri Lanka arrests 83 illegal immigrants bound for
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy has arrested over 80 people who were trying to illegally leave for Australia by two trawlers.
They were arrested 10 nautical miles north off the eastern coast of Trincomalee, Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said.
Four women and two children are among the group of 83 people, who are all residents of the north and east provinces, the spokesman said.
The detection was the first since Australia`s parliament on Thursday voted to set up off shore processing centres for asylum applications.
Australian government would now send boat people to Papua New Guinea and Nauru to have their asylum applications processed.
Sri Lankan police said that over 900 people have been arrested so far this year for trying to illegally leave for Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?