Sri Lanka arrests 83 illegal immigrants bound for
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy has arrested over 80 people who were trying to illegally leave for Australia by two trawlers.
They were arrested 10 nautical miles north off the eastern coast of Trincomalee, Naval spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said.
Four women and two children are among the group of 83 people, who are all residents of the north and east provinces, the spokesman said.
The detection was the first since Australia`s parliament on Thursday voted to set up off shore processing centres for asylum applications.
Australian government would now send boat people to Papua New Guinea and Nauru to have their asylum applications processed.
Sri Lankan police said that over 900 people have been arrested so far this year for trying to illegally leave for Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj