Sri Lanka asks UN not to make public war crime report
Colombo: Sri Lankan Government on Thursday
asked the United Nations not to make public its report on
alleged war crimes in the country, saying it could setback its
External Affairs Minister GL Peiris said the UN
should not release the report as it could prove damaging to
his country. His comments came amidst reports that the UN
panel report is about to be made public.
"The publication of this report will cause irreparable
damage to the reconciliation efforts of Sri Lanka. It will
also damage the UN system," Peiris said.
Describing the UN report as "preposterous", Peiris
told reporters, "We ask them to refrain from any steps that
will make reconciliation more difficult."
The Lankan Minister claimed that the UN panel report
had no legal authority and the publishing of the document
would undermine the principle of sovereign equality.
Key excerpts from the panel report were carried in a
mysterious leak by Lanka`s widely circulated Island newspaper
earlier this week, saying reports that Sri Lankan military had
committed war crimes in its final decisive offensive against
Tamil Tigers in 2009, were "credible".
The panel called for an "independent" inquiry into the
The three-member panel, appointed by UN Secretary
General Ban ki-Moon submitted its report last week without
making it public.
Peiris denied that government had leaked the report to
`The Island` newspaper.
The Sri Lankan Government had described the report as
"flawed", dubbing it a Western nations led mechanism to
undermine Sri Lanka`s victory over terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM