Sri Lanka bars entry to two British journalists
Colombo: Sri Lanka said on Wednesday that it declined entry to two journalists of a British television station which had aired a series of videos accusing the military of war crimes.
The Immigration and Emigration Department said that the journalists attached to the British Channel 4 television were sent back after they arrived in Sri Lanka.
Immigration head Chulananda Perera told Xinhua that one female journalist, Shirani Sabaratnam, was refused entry at the country`s only international airport on Tuesday.
Her husband Stuart Cosgrove, a director at Channel 4, meanwhile entered the country and was at a Colombo hotel when he was taken back to the airport by officials and sent back, Perera said.
The Channel 4 journalists were among those blacklisted in Sri Lanka following the airing of the controversial war crimes videos.
Based on the video footage, Sri Lanka was accused by some foreign governments and human rights groups of committing war crimes during the final stages of the war against the Tamil Tiger rebels.
Sri Lanka defeated the rebels in May 2009 but following that Channel 4 released the videos it claimed were authentic, showing soldiers killing unarmed rebels at close range.
The Sri Lankan government however rejected the allegations and said that the videos were doctored and not authentic.
Following international pressure, the government later appointed the Lessons Learned and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) to look at some of the incidents which took place during the war including the allegations raised in the Channel 4 video.
The military also launched its own inquiry after the LLRC released its final report late last year with a set of recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'