Sri Lanka Cabinet holds meeting in Kilinochchi
Colombo: The Sri Lankan government on Wednesday
held the first ever Cabinet meeting in Tamil heartland of
Kilinochchi, the erstwhile administrative capital of the
vanquished LTTE, where President Mahinda Rajapaksa announced
reduction in prices of fuel for northern region.
The meeting was held at the security forces
headquarters this morning.
The Cabinet decided to reduce the price of diesel,
petrol and kerosene in the Jaffna peninsula by Rs 3 with
"The weekly Cabinet meeting commenced in Kilinochchi
at 10.00 am today under the patronage of President Mahinda
Rajapakse," a statement said.
The meeting was conducted at the administrative
building of the defence forces headquarters near the Iranamadu
Provincial Chief Ministers were invited to participate
at the Cabinet meeting which reviewed the progress in northern
Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwella said the
government has decided to hold Cabinet meetings in other
districts of the country in future.
This is also the first time a central Cabinet
meeting is being held in the northern province.
After the meeting President Rajapakse held
discussions on the development activities so far carried out
in the district since the end of the war against the LTTE.
The President also addressed a public rally at
Iranamadu where he also spoke in Tamil.
The Cabinet Secretary, government officials and
the Presidential and Ministerial Security Division made
arrangements to hold the meeting in Kilinochchi following the
decision made to hold Cabinet meetings in different provinces,
an official statement said.
The Cabinet usually meets once a week at "Temple
Trees", the official residence of President, in Colombo.
Sri Lankan forces liberated Kilinochchi from the
LTTE in January 2009 following a fierce battle. The rebels had
their administrative centre in Kilinochchi.
The intention of holding the Cabinet meeting in
Kilinochchi was an effort to reach out to the local people.
"Since all the ministers will be there local people
could find solutions for their burning problems," Rambukwella
had told reporters while announcing the decision to hold the
Cabinet meeting in Kilinochchi.
Rajapaksa also presided over the function to launch
a mobile service to solve the burning problems of the people
in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'