Sri Lanka claims victory ahead of crucial UN rights vote
Colombo: Sri Lanka has described the adoption of its periodic review of human rights at Geneva`s UNHRC sessions without a division as a victory and an acknowledgment of its rights progress.
"We can be happy that our report was unanimously accepted at the Universal Periodic Review (UPR). This was despite many powerful countries speaking against it," Mahinda Samarasinghe, a minister and President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s Human Rights envoy, said.
Samarasinghe said that anyone taking an impartial view would note Sri Lanka`s human rights progress made since the end to the conflict with the LTTE four years ago.
The review came ahead of next week`s crucial resolution to be moved by the US. The US adopted a similar resolution last year with India`s support which bound Sri Lanka to make rapid progress on reconciliation with the Tamils.
In a statement, the US Geneva mission regretted that Sri Lanka had rejected all UPR recommendations of member states that called upon Colombo to implement recommendations of its own reconciliation body, the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC).
In a critical tone, the US said Sri Lanka was trying to reframe human rights commitments in line with their National Plan of Action, which "does not address the broad spectrum of recommendations put forward by the LLRC report".
Samarasinghe yesterday said that the government had already made budgetary provisions needed to implement the national action plan of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum