Sri Lanka: Coalition partner wants diplomatic offensive against UN report
Colombo: As the UN released a report on
the last phase of the conflict in Sri Lanka, a partner of the
ruling coalition demanded a diplomatic offensive to shore up
international support against the report while the main
opposition appointed a retired civil servant to study it.
Jathika Hela Urumaya, which is part of the ruling
United People`s Freedom Alliance (UPFA), said President
Mahinda Rajapaksa should seek the support of India, Russia and
China in protest against the report of an independent panel
which has now been submitted to UN chief Ban ki-Moon.
"We suggest that President Rajapaksa personally visit
India, Russia and China to mobilise support against the panel
report," Udaya Gammanpila, the JHU legal advisor, said.
"President can convince these countries to vote
against the Western nations if a resolution is moved against
Sri Lanka in the UN security council," Gammanpila said.
The panel has said killing of tens of thousands of
people in the final stages of the Sri Lankan civil strife
could amount to "war crimes". But, Ban insisted he would only
launch an international investigation if Colombo agrees or
member states call for it.
Ban`s statement came as the panel called on the
Secretary General to immediately set up "an independent
international mechanism" to investigate "credible" allegations
that both Sri Lankan government and Tamil Tigers committed
serious human rights violations, including some that could
amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity, in the
months before the decades old civil war ended in 2009.
In its reaction to the report, the Opposition UNP said
it has Bradman Weerakoon, a former civil servant who has
worked with seven former Prime Ministers, to study the report.
The UNP will come out with an official response to the
report only after Weerakoon studies the report.
Despite objections from Sri Lanka, Ban made public the
Sri Lanka has vehemently rejected the report as one
used by the Western states to undermine its victory over
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM