Sri Lanka concerned over Indian N-plants
Colombo: Concerned over nuclear power plants located in south India, the Sri Lankan government plans to raise the issue before the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
According to Sri Lankan minister for Power and Energy Champika Ranawaka, the issue would be raised at the next International Atomic Energy Agency confabulation scheduled in September, Xinhua reported Sunday.
Sri Lankan is concerned over the impact a nuclear disaster in one of the plants located in southern India could have on Sri Lanka, he said.
Talking to reporters, Ranawaka said that his ministry has already raised the issue with India and called for talks on reaching a disaster mitigating process in the event of a disaster in one of the nuclear plants on the south Indian coast.
Sri Lanka is seeking an agreement with India on nuclear disaster management and India had responded positively, he said.
In the event of a nuclear disaster in India, the Sri Lankan authorities feel their northern town of Mannar will be the hardest hit.
Sri Lanka`s power and energy ministry is currently conducting a survey of the coast of Mannar as well as Jaffna also in the north to identify the areas to conduct radiation tests, the minister said.
Sri Lanka wants to be prepared for a nuclear disaster following the incidents in Japan last year where a nuclear plant was damaged as a result of an earthquake and a tsunami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you