Sri Lanka: Cops arrest scribes, shut news websites
Colombo: The Sri Lankan police have reportedly raided the offices of two news websites and arrested nine people, mostly journalists.
Police said journalists from Sri Lanka Mirror and Sri Lanka X News were arrested for publishing anti-government material.
Police also confiscated computers and phones from the shared office of the two media firms, The BBC reports.
According to the report, the office of the two websites has been sealed
Police have also raided the home of a senior journalist at the Sri Lanka Mirror.
The raid on the websites comes amid growing concern about media freedom in Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hong Kong''s first suspected Zika case tests negative: Radio
- One policeman killed in South Kashmir
- Terrorists gun down policeman in Kashmir's Pulwama district
- BJP to hold meet with CMs' of party-ruled states, PM Modi to address concluding session
- JD(U) backs Mamata Banerjee, says resistance against Centre is growing