Sri Lanka: Cops arrest scribes, shut news websites
Colombo: The Sri Lankan police have reportedly raided the offices of two news websites and arrested nine people, mostly journalists.
Police said journalists from Sri Lanka Mirror and Sri Lanka X News were arrested for publishing anti-government material.
Police also confiscated computers and phones from the shared office of the two media firms, The BBC reports.
According to the report, the office of the two websites has been sealed
Police have also raided the home of a senior journalist at the Sri Lanka Mirror.
The raid on the websites comes amid growing concern about media freedom in Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH