Sri Lanka: Cops arrest scribes, shut news websites
Colombo: The Sri Lankan police have reportedly raided the offices of two news websites and arrested nine people, mostly journalists.
Police said journalists from Sri Lanka Mirror and Sri Lanka X News were arrested for publishing anti-government material.
Police also confiscated computers and phones from the shared office of the two media firms, The BBC reports.
According to the report, the office of the two websites has been sealed
Police have also raided the home of a senior journalist at the Sri Lanka Mirror.
The raid on the websites comes amid growing concern about media freedom in Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened