Sri Lanka detains three for paying tribute to LTTE rebels
Colombo: Three persons arrested in northeast Sri Lanka for commemorating the achievements of LTTE rebels were produced in a court on Friday.
Police said they were arrested at Murukkandi in Mannar district on November 26. They were presented before a local magistrate.
"It is illegal to celebrate a banned terrorist organisation," police spokesman Ajith Rohana said.
November 26 was celebrated annually by the LTTE as "Heroes` Day" to commemorate those who died in the fight to carve out a separate Tamil homeland.
The day was also the birthday of the slain LTTE leader Velupillai Prabakaran. He used the occasion to make the annual policy speech of the organisation.
LTTE was defeated in 2009 after a three-decade civil war and Prabakaran was killed in the final days of the conflict.
MA Sumanthiran, a legislator of the country`s main Tamil party TNA, said there was nothing wrong in commemorating the dead. "This is done in civilised societies so no one should try to prevent it," he told parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WOW! This video of Andhra actor singing Allah, Allah fires up the internet – WATCH viral video
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani