Sri Lanka: Diamond swallowed by Chinese was fake
Colombo: The 1.5-carat `diamond` swallowed by a Chinese on the opening day of Sri Lanka`s international gem and jewellery show last week here has turned out to be a fake, an official said on Tuesday.
Nimal Bandara, the head of the Gems and Jewellery Bureau, said their tests have proved that the swallowed `diamond` was a fake.
The 32-year-old Chow Wan was arrested for attempted theft after he swallowed the `diamond` while showing interest in buying gems at the opening of FACET 2012 exhibition.
The `diamond`, believed to be worth Rs 1.8 million, was recovered after he was administered a dose of laxatives at the national hospital here. It was later referred to the Gems and Jewellery Bureau for verification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’