Sri Lanka: Diamond swallowed by Chinese was fake
Colombo: The 1.5-carat `diamond` swallowed by a Chinese on the opening day of Sri Lanka`s international gem and jewellery show last week here has turned out to be a fake, an official said on Tuesday.
Nimal Bandara, the head of the Gems and Jewellery Bureau, said their tests have proved that the swallowed `diamond` was a fake.
The 32-year-old Chow Wan was arrested for attempted theft after he swallowed the `diamond` while showing interest in buying gems at the opening of FACET 2012 exhibition.
The `diamond`, believed to be worth Rs 1.8 million, was recovered after he was administered a dose of laxatives at the national hospital here. It was later referred to the Gems and Jewellery Bureau for verification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!