Colombo: The 1.5-carat `diamond` swallowed by a Chinese on the opening day of Sri Lanka`s international gem and jewellery show last week here has turned out to be a fake, an official said on Tuesday.
Nimal Bandara, the head of the Gems and Jewellery Bureau, said their tests have proved that the swallowed `diamond` was a fake.
The 32-year-old Chow Wan was arrested for attempted theft after he swallowed the `diamond` while showing interest in buying gems at the opening of FACET 2012 exhibition.
The `diamond`, believed to be worth Rs 1.8 million, was recovered after he was administered a dose of laxatives at the national hospital here. It was later referred to the Gems and Jewellery Bureau for verification.