Sri Lanka: Diamond swallowed by Chinese was fake
Colombo: The 1.5-carat `diamond` swallowed by a Chinese on the opening day of Sri Lanka`s international gem and jewellery show last week here has turned out to be a fake, an official said on Tuesday.
Nimal Bandara, the head of the Gems and Jewellery Bureau, said their tests have proved that the swallowed `diamond` was a fake.
The 32-year-old Chow Wan was arrested for attempted theft after he swallowed the `diamond` while showing interest in buying gems at the opening of FACET 2012 exhibition.
The `diamond`, believed to be worth Rs 1.8 million, was recovered after he was administered a dose of laxatives at the national hospital here. It was later referred to the Gems and Jewellery Bureau for verification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city