Sri Lanka: Diamond swallowed by Chinese was fake
Colombo: The 1.5-carat `diamond` swallowed by a Chinese on the opening day of Sri Lanka`s international gem and jewellery show last week here has turned out to be a fake, an official said on Tuesday.
Nimal Bandara, the head of the Gems and Jewellery Bureau, said their tests have proved that the swallowed `diamond` was a fake.
The 32-year-old Chow Wan was arrested for attempted theft after he swallowed the `diamond` while showing interest in buying gems at the opening of FACET 2012 exhibition.
The `diamond`, believed to be worth Rs 1.8 million, was recovered after he was administered a dose of laxatives at the national hospital here. It was later referred to the Gems and Jewellery Bureau for verification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?