Sri Lanka: Fonseka says his comments were distorted
Colombo: Sarath Fonseka, jailed ex-Army chief of Sri Lanka, accused of revealing state secrets and arousing anti-government feelings on Thursday said that his comments have been distorted and taken out of context.
He was making a statement in the high court trial-at-bar on the `white flag` case where he is tried for bringing the government troops in to disrepute and trying to flame communal hatred over his statement that LTTE members who wanted to surrender had been shot dead on higher authority orders.
Fonseka told the court that his comments had been taken out of the context and even distorted.
As the commander of the Sri Lankan Army during the final stages of the war in 2009 he would not do anything to demean or bring disrepute to his troops.
The court which summoned the foreign secretary K Amunugama and the government MP Rajiva Wijesingha as witnesses asked them to be present in court next week when the case will be heard again.
Earlier, Fonseka was asked to visit doctors as he developed a cough while making a dock statement. He is currently in jail serving a 30-month sentence having been found guilty by a military court for misappropriation when he headed the Army`s tender board.
He lost to incumbent Mahinda Rajapaksa when he posed a challenge as the common opposition candidate in the January 2010 Presidential Election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened