Sri Lanka for time bound implementation of LLRC
Colombo: The Sri Lankan government is bracing for time-bound implementation of the recommendation of its reconciliation commission set up to promote national unity.
Minister Anura Priyadarshana Yapa said that the Cabinet had decided to implement the recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) in a specific time frame.
"The Secretary to the President at today`s Cabinet meeting presented to the ministers a report on the progress of the action plan on all LLRC recommendations," Yapa said.
He said that the necessary provisions for such implementation by each ministry was discussed with a specific time frame for their implementation, Yapa added.
The government statement on the LLRC implementation was the first since the UN Human Rights Council adopted its second resolution on Sri Lanka’ reconciliation and accountability over its rights record late March.
Yapa reiterated the government`s long held stance that most of the LLRC recommendations have already been implemented.
"The recommendations on resettlement, rehabilitation of ex-LTTE members and disarming of para military groups as well as all areas concerning the Army have already been implemented," Yapa said.
The LLRC was appointed by President Mahinda Rajapaksa in mid 2010.
It was aimed at learning lessons from the armed separatist conflict with the LTTE in order to prevent a repetition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22