Sri Lanka gifts sapphire studded hair pin to Kate
Colombo: Sri Lanka has gifted a Ceylon Sapphire studded diamond hair pin to Kate Middleton who marries Britain`s Prince William on Friday.
The state-owned Sri Lanka Gem and Jewellery Authority (SLGJA) said the gift was in appreciation of the British Royal family`s association with Ceylon Sapphires over many generations.
"This is the first ever international campaign aimed at raising awareness about the rarity and value of the Ceylon Sapphire," Macky Hashim, the SLGJA chief, said.
The hair pin had already been delivered to the Middletons, Hashim said.
Kate Middleton already wears a blue Ceylon Sapphire engagement ring, coming from the late Princess Diana, the mother of the groom, Prince William.
Diana wore it for her own engagement in 1981.
Hashim said sales of Ceylon Sapphire replica rings were in big demand since the announcement of the Royal wedding.
The sapphire sales recorded an 800 percent growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar