Sri Lanka government bans maids to Saudi Arabia
Dubai: Sri Lanka has suspended sending maids to work in Saudi Arabia, following an international outcry over the beheading of a young Lankan housemaid in the Kingdom.
The Chairman of Association of Licensed Foreign Employment Agencies (ALFEA) said that the government had decided to suspend sending domestic maids to Saudi Arabia until the maids are provided with an insurance cover by the Saudi authorities.
ALFEA Chairman W MP Aponso, quoted by The Sunday Leader, said that it will discuss the issue with Sri Lankan Minister of Foreign Employment and Social Services Dylan Pereira.
The move to suspend sending domestic maids to the Gulf nation followed the execution of Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek.
Around 500,000 Sri Lankans are employed in Saudi Arabia, most of them as maids.
Chairman of the Sri Lanka Foreign Employment Bureau Amal Senalankadhikara also confirmed to the newspaper that Sri Lankan domestic maids were not being sent to Saudi Arabia.
He said that a decision was taken to suspend sending maids over some pending issues which will be discussed with the minister concerned.
ALFEA also warned that Sri Lanka may lose its quota of maids to Saudi Arabia after Indonesia had last week lifted a ban on sending maids to Saudi Arabia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3