Sri Lanka govt releases video of LTTE`s atrocities
Colombo: Facing an onslaught from the
international community for alleged war crimes, the Sri Lankan
government on Wednesday released a video which they claimed carries
"authentic evidence" of LTTE`s atrocities during the last
phase of the military assault.
The video captioned "Ruthless" claims to have recorded eye
witness accounts of LTTE`s child recruitment and its violence
against Tamil civilians.
"These are authentic evidence coming from Tamil civilians
who had been at the receiving end", Lakshman Hulugalle, the
director general of the media centre for national security
The video contains an account by a Catholic priest in the
St Mary`s Church at Valayanamadam in the northern Mullaithivu
district about forced recruitment of the under-aged children
for military purposes by the LTTE.
The priest narrates the LTTE`s alleged storming of the
church premises which provided refuge to displaced children as
the army was making its advance during the final stage of the
Similarly, an alleged LTTE action to blow up a bus with
civilians at Mullaivaikkal, the scene of the final battle, has
Hulugalle said the government aimed to counter "false
accounts" provided in certain international media such as the
British Channel 4 TV of unsubstantiated evidence coming from
"The people shown in this video are available for anyone
to be interviewed", Hulugalle said.
The release came as Sri Lanka is bracing to face another
session of the UN Human Rights Council sessions in Geneva
later this month.
The local press speculates that US was planning to move a
resolution against Sri Lanka at the sessions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state