Sri Lanka jail shut after hostage drama
Colombo: The jail in the northern Sri Lankan town of Vavuniya was temporarily shut on Friday after LTTE suspects took three prison guards hostage, officials said.
P W Kodippily, the prison chief said that Vavuniya jail`s 201 inmates were transferred to a jail in the north central town of Anuradhapura after police`s special task force and the army jointly carried out a raid in the premises to free three jailor guards taken hostage by LTTE suspects.
The LTTE suspects launched a hunger strike since yesterday demanding that a fellow inmate transferred out elsewhere be brought back to Vavuniya. Yesterday evening they took hostage three prison guards.
"They (jailors) have now been admitted to hospital as they were found to be ill treated under captivity. They had been made to starve", Kodippily said.
Kodippily said the LTTE prisoner was transferred as a result of a court order. The jail will be re-opened once the repair work to damages caused as a result of commotion inside the jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!