Sri Lanka launches Chinese-built mega port project in Colombo
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Monday launched a USD 500 million Chinese-funded port project aimed to transform the Colombo port into a strategic shipping hub along the world`s most lucrative trading route.
President Mahinda Rajapakse commissioned the mega million container terminal by symbolically loading the first container onto a ship.
"We want to capitalise on the geographical location and to give economic benefits to people who will be born tomorrow," Rajapaksa said addressing the gathering.
With a new breakwater, deeper basin, and the first of three modern new terminals now open, Colombo Port can accept the latest generation of 18,000 20-foot equivalent units (TEU) container ships and has facilities to send goods faster and more cost efficiently to other ports in the region, officials said.
The port`s capacity will eventually be increased from the current 5 million containers to 12.5 million containers per year, according to the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA).
The terminal is 85 per cent owned by state-run China Merchant Holdings International, with the rest owned by the SLPA.
The involvement of China Merchant comes after Beijing sealed a deal in January to acquire Pakistan`s Gwadar port. The company is also building a USD 14 million "dry port" in Nepal close to Tibet.
Both projects have raised concerns in India over China`s activities in its neighbourhood.
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) provided a USD 300 million loan for the construction of breakwater infrastructure.
"The Colombo port is extremely well located to serve the Indian subcontinent region. The enhanced deep water facilities at Colombo Port will strengthen its strategic position on the key Asia-Europe shipping route, and would significantly boost regional trade," Xiaoyu Zhao, Vice President of the ADB, said.
The project was developed on a public-private partnership basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review