Sri Lanka lawyers body petitions court against top judge trial
Colombo: The apex body of lawyers in Sri Lanka has filed a petition in the Supreme Court against the impeachment of the country`s first woman chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake for alleged personal and professional misconduct.
Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) officials said the petition was filed in the Supreme Court by four members of its committee including its president Wijedasa Rajapaksa who is also a main opposition United National Party (UNP) legislator.
They claim that their fundamental rights had been violated by the move to impeach Bandaranayake, 54, who also became the island`s first ever woman Supreme Court judge in 1996 before being appointed chief justice in 2011.
She appeared for impeachment motion proceedings before the parliamentary select committee last Friday which will be reconvened on December 4.
The PSC was convened in spite of a request from the Supreme Court to delay the process.
Bandaranayake is charged with 14 counts of personal and professional misconduct.
The opposition dubs the government move as a political witch hunt in order to undermine the independence of the judiciary.
The impeachment was the culmination of a month-long spat between the judiciary and the executive wing of the state.
The judiciary cited political interference violating its independence as the reason for friction.
The government`s move was criticised by the US, Commonwealth and international rights watch groups as an action undermining the independence of judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire