Sri Lanka main opposition to skip CHOGM
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main opposition United National Party (UNP) ON Thursday decided to stay away from CHOGM that begins tomorrow, alleging the government was using devious methods of "harassing" the party.
"We want to protest the treatment meted out to us by the government in the recent days", Tissa Attanayake, the UNP general secretary said.
"We have decided to boycott the CHOGM entirely because the Government is using devious methods of harassing the UNP," he alleged.
Attanayake said the underworld was deployed to storm and attack his party headquarters both yesterday and today.
UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe said on Monday that he would attend the opening ceremony to be held tomorrow.
The UNP would compel the government to uphold Commonwealth values such as good governance, independence of judiciary, freedom of media during the next two years when Sri Lanka performs chair role for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), Wickremesinghe said.
Attanayake said the government attempted to disrupt the joint opposition human rights event held at the party headquarters, including the inaugural meeting of the party`s new leadership council.
Yesterday, the entry to UNP headquarters was blocked by a mob as party leader Wickremesinghe came to address a human rights meeting.
The protesters claimed that the UNP was harbouring a crew of the British Channel 4 TV who had run anti-Lanka documentaries accusing the country of war crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras