Sri Lanka main opposition to skip CHOGM
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main opposition United National Party (UNP) ON Thursday decided to stay away from CHOGM that begins tomorrow, alleging the government was using devious methods of "harassing" the party.
"We want to protest the treatment meted out to us by the government in the recent days", Tissa Attanayake, the UNP general secretary said.
"We have decided to boycott the CHOGM entirely because the Government is using devious methods of harassing the UNP," he alleged.
Attanayake said the underworld was deployed to storm and attack his party headquarters both yesterday and today.
UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe said on Monday that he would attend the opening ceremony to be held tomorrow.
The UNP would compel the government to uphold Commonwealth values such as good governance, independence of judiciary, freedom of media during the next two years when Sri Lanka performs chair role for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), Wickremesinghe said.
Attanayake said the government attempted to disrupt the joint opposition human rights event held at the party headquarters, including the inaugural meeting of the party`s new leadership council.
Yesterday, the entry to UNP headquarters was blocked by a mob as party leader Wickremesinghe came to address a human rights meeting.
The protesters claimed that the UNP was harbouring a crew of the British Channel 4 TV who had run anti-Lanka documentaries accusing the country of war crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark