Sri Lanka may ban sending of housemaids abroad
Colombo: The Sri Lankan government is considering ban on sending its nationals as housemaids abroad, particularly to Middle Eastern countries.
Sri Lankan Ambassador to Kuwait CAHM Wijeratne said the social impact of sending women as migrant workers was significant and as such the government was considering the ban, Xinhua reported citing local media.
Of the total of 130,000 Sri Lankans residing in Kuwait, some 80,000 are domestic help.
"We are paying the price - the social impact is huge, and families are breaking up," he said in remarks to the media.
"For some women, it`s a way to get away from a drunk husband, but the government is seriously contemplating (placing a ban)," said Wijeratne.
The consideration is also affected by poor working conditions, low salaries and abuse faced abroad by housemaids.
A Sri Lankan maid was reported to have set her employers` house on fire this week in retaliation for mistreatment by them.
However, Sri Lanka`s economy depends on remittance earnings that amounted to about $6 billion last year.
Last month, the Sri Lankan government signed a landmark agreement with Saudi Arabia to protect 12 categories of migrant workers such as housemaids, drivers, cleaners and waiters employed by Saudis.
According to the new agreement, sponsors cannot hold the employees` passports and the domestic workers are not required to surrender their passports to the employer.
The employers are also required to remit the workers` salaries to their bank accounts instead of the usual practice of paying the salaries in cash.
Saudi Arabia signed similar agreements that have a protection mechanism for migrant workers from India and the Philippines earlier this month.
This is the first migrant worker agreement between the two countries despite Sri Lankans seeking employment in the oil rich nation for over 25 years.
It is estimated that 1.2 million Sri Lankan migrant workers are employed in the Middle East, mostly as housemaids.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed