Sri Lanka may pull its mission out of Tamil Nadu
Colombo: Faced with growing anti-Sri Lankan sentiments in Tamil Nadu, Colombo may shift its deputy high commission office out of Chennai, a media report said on Sunday.
The new location could be Trivandrum in neighbouring Kerala, the Sunday Times said.
Threats and intimidation of Sri Lankan nationals and Sri Lankan property have been noted in Chennai.
The paper claimed that even the Sri Lankan defence attache based in Chennai had come under harassment.
Last week, two Buddhist monks came under attack triggering noisy protests here near the Indian High Commission premises and Sri Lanka`s national carrier also suspended flights to Chennai.
Top Indian officials here met with senior Buddhist monks to try to allay fears.
The protests came as India voted against Sri Lanka alongside the US in a key UN human rights resolution, last week, that called for an independent and credible investigation into allegations of human rights violations towards the end of the island`s three-decade civil war against Tamil separatists in 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata