Sri Lanka military probe blames LTTE for civilian killings
Colombo: A Sri Lankan military court of inquiry has given a clean chit to the Army and ruled that civilian casualties in the last stage of the military operations "might have occurred due to unlawful acts of the LTTE".
The report was equally critical of the international community`s failure in their duty to stop the LTTE war crimes.
The inquiry report was presented to the top defence official Gotabhaya Rajapaksa today.
The same report was handed over to the chief of the Army, Jagath Jayssuriya in February.
The report focused on the allegations of civilian casualties raised in a British TV channel documentary.
Channel 4 had said that Sri Lanka Army`s use of heavy weaponry had caused a large number of civilian casualties.
Sri Lanka`s own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) in its report had recommended that allegations of civilian casualties need to be investigated.
The Army court of inquiry was in response to the LLRC findings.
"From the testimony presented, the commission of inquiry concluded that the instances of shellings referred to in the LLRC report were not caused by the Sri Lanka Army and civilian casualties might have occurred due to unlawful acts by the LTTE," the report said.
The report has further contended that civilian casualties are inevitable due to the vagaries of the war but if the fresh evidence is presented giving precise information, Sri Lanka Army was willing to institute investigations.
Sri Lanka has been under constant international pressure to investigate the large number of civilian killings in the last stages of the conflict.
The island has been the subject of two UN Human Rights Council resolutions both of which have called for credible investigations in to the violation of the international humanitarian law.
The report adds that the Army would next move to investigate the Channel 4 allegations of summary execution of LTTE cadres captured by it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof