Sri Lanka: Minister shaves head to mark anniversary of Buddhism
Colombo: Members of Jathika Hela Urumaya (JHU), a political party in Sri Lanka which is led by Buddhist monks, including the country`s Power and Energy Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka on Sunday shaved heads before going into a week of meditation marking the 2600th anniversary of Buddhism.
"They will dedicate themselves to the religion throughout this week and indulge in religious activities for 10 days including meditation", Reverend Athuraliye Rathana, a JHU senior and a member of Parliament said.
Ranawaka and Udaya Gammanpila, a ruling party minister in the western provincial council, were among those who shaved their heads today at a ceremony here.
There are many state sponsored events to mark the 2600th anniversary of Buddhism, the religion of 74 percent of the island`s population.
Some 2600 temples and Buddhism teaching schools are to be developed at state expense, officials said.
The central bank is to issue two special coins of rupees 1000 and rupees 10 denominations while a series of new postal stamps is also to be released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door