Sri Lanka Muslim leader dismayed over hate campaign
Colombo: Sri Lankan Justice Minister and leader of a leading Muslim party has expressed dismay at what he called an anti-Muslim hate campaign being run by extremists and asked the government to take necessary steps to protect the vulnerable.
Rauff Hakeem, the leader of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC), which is a part of the ruling coalition, also expressed dissatisfaction at the way the administration was dealing with this issue.
His comments came after members of a Sinhala extremist group, Sihala Ravaya, stormed a Muslim-owned department store in the Colombo suburb of Maharagama yesterday, asking for the facility to be removed from the area.
Hakeem, who is also the Minister of Justice, said in a statement that he was dismayed by the apathy displayed by authorities to check the spread of this hate campaign.
Calling for action to prevent such a campaign from growing, Hakeem said the government was duty bound to protect the weak and vulnerable communities.
The SLMC leader in his statement says that Muslims should not fall prey to this campaign of hatred launched by vested interests.
Another Sinhala majority group, Bodu Bala Sena or the Force of the Buddhists had late last year called on the Sinhalese to boycott Muslim businesses. The campaign failed to gain momentum, though.
In September 2011, a group of Buddhist monks led a crowd that demolished a Muslim shrine in Anuradhapura, an ancient Buddhist city and UNESCO world heritage site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj