Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers
Colombo: The Sri Lankan navy Thursday arrested 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers, Xinhua reported.
According to the Sri Lankan navy`s media unit, a boat carrying the asylum seekers to Australia was spotted off Mirissa beach, in the south of the country by navy boats.
Among the asylum seekers were 47 minority Tamils, five Sinhalese nationals and two Muslims. "Those arrested are residents of Jaffna, Vavuniya, Colombo, Kilinochchi, Mullaithivu and Trincomalee," the navy said.
Following a pre-dawn raid on the fishing boat, the asylum seekers were brought ashore and handed over to the police.
Around 1,000 people have been arrested in Sri Lanka this year while attempting to make the dangerous journey by boat to Australia as a number of others have managed to reach Australia by boat this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers