Sri Lanka opposition forms alliance to topple Rajapaksa govt
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s opposition parties, including the country`s main Tamil party TNA, today joined hands to form a new alliance aimed at toppling the Rajapaksa government.
The leaders of the main opposition United National Party (UNP) and th TNA along with leaders of other small parties entered a memorandum of understanding today.
"Our aim is to change the regime. So we invite everyone to join hands with us", UNP and main opposition leader Ranil Wickremesinghe said.
"We have joined together despite our political differences. The Rajapaksa regime would not go merely because we ask them to go. We may have to get into streets to force the regime out," Wickremesinghe said.
Wickremesinghe said the parties in the alliance are free to contest on their own in an election.
Mano Ganesan the leader of a Tamil party said all forces must get together to ensure democratic freedoms in the island.
The next parliamentary election and the next presidential election are not due in Sri Lanka until 2016, However, President Mahinda Rajapaksa is constitutionally empowered to call snap elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in