Sri Lanka Parliament rejects court summons
Colombo: Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa has ruled that the Supreme Court has no power to issue notice to Sri Lankan Parliament.
He was referring to the Supreme Court`s summoning of the 11-member select committee to appear before it with regard to the motion of impeachment against the island`s first ever woman chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
"No outside entity has any authority over the Speaker, parliament or any committee appointed by the Speaker", Rajapaksa who is the elder brother of the Sri Lankan president said.
Rajapaksa`s ruling came as the Leader of the House and senior minister Nimal Siripala de Silva raised a privilege matter in the House.
De Silva said that petitions filed in the Supreme Court against the select committee were a violation of privileges.
The 11-member select committee is probing 14 charges against Bandaranayake, 54, who also became the island`s first ever woman Supreme Court judge in 1996 before being appointed chief justice in 2011.
The next hearing is scheduled for December 4.
The motion seeks removal of the chief justice in the culmination of a month long clash between the judicial and executive wings of the government.
The judiciary cited political interference violating its independence as the reason for friction.
The opposition dubs the government move as a political witch hunt in order to undermine the independence of the judiciary.
The government`s move was criticised by the US, Commonwealth and international rights watch groups as an action undermining the independence of judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister