Sri Lanka protests against assault on its monks in south India
Chennai: Dubbing the recent acts of violence targeting its citizens in Tamil Nadu as an attempt to tarnish its friendly ties with India, Sri Lanka has lodged a strong protest with New Delhi over the incidents of assaults on Buddhist monks.
"Ministry of External Affairs has lodged strong protest with the Indian Government through its High Commission in New Delhi and the Deputy High Commission in Chennai over the incidents of assaults on Sri Lankan Buddhist monks in the state of Tamil Nadu," a Sri Lankan High Commission release said today.
It said Sri Lanka regretted the recent incidents of "intimidation" of its nationals, particularly instances of violent assaults on Buddhist monks in Thanjavur and at the Central Railway station here.
Advising its nationals to exercise `caution` when undertaking visits to Tamil Nadu, the release said such assaults were carried out by "extreme elements with vested interests in attempting to tarnish our friendly relations with India".
As emotions run high in Tamil Nadu in view of the growing protests over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, two Buddhist monks came under assault by activists of some fringe pro-Tamil outifts in the last three days.
A Buddhist monk, pursuing archaeological research in the country, was roughed up when he along with a group of students visited the ancient Big Temple in Thanjavur last week and their van was attacked by pro-Tamil activists. Police have arrested 12 persons in this connection.
In the other incident, a Buddhist monk from Sri Lanka, returning here after visiting Bodh Gaya in Bihar, was assaulted by some unidentified persons at the central railway station yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured