Sri Lanka protests against assault on its monks in south India
Chennai: Dubbing the recent acts of violence targeting its citizens in Tamil Nadu as an attempt to tarnish its friendly ties with India, Sri Lanka has lodged a strong protest with New Delhi over the incidents of assaults on Buddhist monks.
"Ministry of External Affairs has lodged strong protest with the Indian Government through its High Commission in New Delhi and the Deputy High Commission in Chennai over the incidents of assaults on Sri Lankan Buddhist monks in the state of Tamil Nadu," a Sri Lankan High Commission release said today.
It said Sri Lanka regretted the recent incidents of "intimidation" of its nationals, particularly instances of violent assaults on Buddhist monks in Thanjavur and at the Central Railway station here.
Advising its nationals to exercise `caution` when undertaking visits to Tamil Nadu, the release said such assaults were carried out by "extreme elements with vested interests in attempting to tarnish our friendly relations with India".
As emotions run high in Tamil Nadu in view of the growing protests over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, two Buddhist monks came under assault by activists of some fringe pro-Tamil outifts in the last three days.
A Buddhist monk, pursuing archaeological research in the country, was roughed up when he along with a group of students visited the ancient Big Temple in Thanjavur last week and their van was attacked by pro-Tamil activists. Police have arrested 12 persons in this connection.
In the other incident, a Buddhist monk from Sri Lanka, returning here after visiting Bodh Gaya in Bihar, was assaulted by some unidentified persons at the central railway station yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues