`Sri Lanka recalls war crimes accused diplomat`
Geneva: Sri Lanka on Wednesday recalled its deputy
ambassador to Germany and Switzerland, Jaghat Dias, a former general that rights groups have accused of war crimes, Swiss media said.
The Sankt-Galler Zeitung newspaper and ATS news agency
said the information was provided by diplomatic sources, but
the missions in Berlin and Geneva did not comment.
Two rights groups last month filed a criminal complaint
with Swiss authorities against Dias for alleged war crimes.
The Swiss attorney general`s office confirmed it received
the complaint filed by the Society for Threatened Peoples and
TRIAL (Track Impunity Always) and was examining the case.
The two groups claimed that "there are numerous
indications that war crimes were committed" by the 57th
division commanded by Dias in the Sri Lankan army`s final
offensive against Tamil Tiger rebels.
"In particular, during this time, the troops of Jagath
Dias carried out massive bombings of civilians and hospitals,"
Dias is the deputy ambassador at Sri Lanka`s embassy in
Berlin, which also handles diplomatic dealings with
Switzerland and the Vatican.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof