Sri Lanka recovers LTTE`s heavy weaponry
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Army have stumbled upon buried heavy artillery guns, used by the LTTE in their decades-long separatist campaign, after heavy storm lashed the region where the final stages of the battle were fought.
The military spokesman Ruwan Wanigasuriya said that troops found four 152 mm artillery barrels and one 130 mm piece at Mullaithivu, the former rebel group`s military capital.
"They had buried it along the coast and the cache was exposed due to a storm surge in the area," Wanigasuriya said.
"We knew that the terrorists used heavy weapons, but this is physical evidence of their big artillery guns."
"Tigers fired these artillery pieces from areas where the civilians were sheltering in the final stages of the war," Wanigasooriya said.
The discovery came ahead of a United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) Universal Periodic Review taking place in Geneva tomorrow.
International rights groups - the London-based Amnesty International and the New York-based Human Rights Watch said Sri Lanka had failed to show progress in upholding human rights since the conflict with the LTTE ended in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly