Sri Lanka releases former LTTE women`s wing leader
Colombo: Sri Lanka has released the former head of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam`s women political wing after undergoing a one-year rehabilitation programme, the Defence Ministry said on Friday.
Subramaniam Sivathai alias Thamalini was handed over to her parents at the Poonthottam Rehabilitation Centre in Vavuniya yesterday, said Commissioner General of Rehabilitation Brigadier Dharshana Hettiarachchi.
Thamalini from Kilinochchi had joined the LTTE in 1991 and became the head of LTTE women`s Wing.
She was arrested by the Sri Lankan Army in May 2009 at an Army welfare centre for refugees and taken to Colombo for investigations.
Thereafter, she was held in the main Welikada prison and was charged with training LTTE cadres and establishing connections with Tamil Tigers overseas.
She was later transferred to the Vavuniya Rehabilitation centre to undergo the rehabilitation programme in order to re-integrate her into the society.
Thamalini received vocational training at the camp and had followed a training course in bridal dressing.
Opposition political sources said she may opt to become a ruling party candidate in the upcoming northern provincial council election in September.
Sri Lanka rehabilitated nearly 11,000 former LTTE cadres who surrendered during the last phase of the military campaign which crushed the Tigers, killing the top rebel leaders in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray