Sri Lanka SC rejects international bar intervention on ousted top judge
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a petition by two international organisations to intervene in the special appeal with regard to the impeachment of country`s first ever woman chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
A five-judge Bench of the Supreme Court rejected the offer of intervention, by the Commonwealth Bar Association and the House Human Rights Committee of the Bar of England and Wales.
Bandaranayake, the island`s first ever lady chief justice, was fired in January this year by impeachment.
Serious questions have been raised internationally on the level of judicial independence following her sacking.
She dubbed it political vengeance against her.
The intervention was sought to help the court in matters of law with regard to the appeal filed by the Attorney General against the writ issued by the Court of Appeal quashing the decision of the Parliamentary Select Committee and making it null and void.
Bandaranayake was dismissed after the PSC found her guilty. She stayed away from it calling it unfair.
She was accused of impropriety due to her alleged failure to disclose assets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you