Sri Lanka sentences five Chinese to death
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s High Court on Saturday handed five Chinese nationals the death penalty for murdering a compatriot at a restaurant near the capital over eight years ago, a court official said.
A Chinese woman and two Chinese men were in court today to
hear the sentence while judges issued a warrant for the other
two who have absconded, the official said.
The five, whose names were not immediately released, were
charged with killing a fellow Chinese restaurant employee in
January 2003 and dismembering his body and disposing it in two
Among those convicted was the Chinese woman who owned the
restaurant in the Colombo suburb of Dehiwala.
Sri Lankan courts pass the death sentence for serious
crime, but the death penalty is usually commuted a life in
prison. The Chinese nationals have the right to appeal to a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government wasting public money for image makeover'
- Kiran Bedi seeks banks' help for 'prosperous' Puducherry
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes