Sri Lanka sentences five Chinese to death
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s High Court on Saturday handed five Chinese nationals the death penalty for murdering a compatriot at a restaurant near the capital over eight years ago, a court official said.
A Chinese woman and two Chinese men were in court today to
hear the sentence while judges issued a warrant for the other
two who have absconded, the official said.
The five, whose names were not immediately released, were
charged with killing a fellow Chinese restaurant employee in
January 2003 and dismembering his body and disposing it in two
Among those convicted was the Chinese woman who owned the
restaurant in the Colombo suburb of Dehiwala.
Sri Lankan courts pass the death sentence for serious
crime, but the death penalty is usually commuted a life in
prison. The Chinese nationals have the right to appeal to a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!