Sri Lanka sentences five Chinese to death
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s High Court on Saturday handed five Chinese nationals the death penalty for murdering a compatriot at a restaurant near the capital over eight years ago, a court official said.
A Chinese woman and two Chinese men were in court today to
hear the sentence while judges issued a warrant for the other
two who have absconded, the official said.
The five, whose names were not immediately released, were
charged with killing a fellow Chinese restaurant employee in
January 2003 and dismembering his body and disposing it in two
Among those convicted was the Chinese woman who owned the
restaurant in the Colombo suburb of Dehiwala.
Sri Lankan courts pass the death sentence for serious
crime, but the death penalty is usually commuted a life in
prison. The Chinese nationals have the right to appeal to a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket