Sri Lanka tells troops to remain alert
Colombo: The Sri Lankan government has urged its security forces to remain vigilant of groups both within and outside the country who may attempt to destabilise the peace, following 30 years of civil war.
Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa said that even though the 30-year-long war has ended, it was the primary duty of all military personnel to ensure continued security and stability of the country, Xinhua reported, citing the Defence Ministry.
He said that although the military will not be engaging in any offensive operations, it was essential that the duties they perform in a passive role prevent regrouping of terrorists as well as the emergence of new threats.
"We know that there are remnants of the LTTE still operating outside Sri Lanka, and there are others even within Sri Lanka who may try to destabilise the peace. It is very important that we remain vigilant about such threats," Rajapaksa said.
"We must ensure that peace and stability continues, enabling us to build a better future for all Sri Lankans," he said.
Rajapaksa, the brother of President Mahinda Rajapaksa, said that since the end of the war in 2009, the government has done a great deal of work to bring back peace and stability in the island nation.
He said that a difficult task of removing land mines in the war battered northern region has almost been completed.
By July, around 300,000 war displaced people who were in temporary camps have been resettled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani