Sri Lanka: Three killed in train accident
Colombo: At least three persons, including
a French tourist, were killed and nearly 30 others injured
when a passenger train rammed into the back of another rail in
northwestern Sri Lanka, officials said on Sunday.
The mishap occurred last evening near a railway station
in Alawwa, 41 miles north of the Sri Lankan capital Colombo.
The inter-city express train between Colombo and the
central town of Kandy was hit from behind by another train
travelling north from the capital.
A French tourist, the engine driver and his assistant
were killed in the mishap, the officials said. Nearly 30
people were also injured and admitted to hospital.
According to local reports, the inter-city train`s
observation car had suffered the bulk of the impact.
Railway officials said a probe has begun on the
Meanwhile, another man was killed in a separate rail
accident in the north central district of Anuradhapura when a
lorry collided with the speeding train at a level crossing
early this morning, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster