Sri Lanka: Three killed in train accident
Colombo: At least three persons, including
a French tourist, were killed and nearly 30 others injured
when a passenger train rammed into the back of another rail in
northwestern Sri Lanka, officials said on Sunday.
The mishap occurred last evening near a railway station
in Alawwa, 41 miles north of the Sri Lankan capital Colombo.
The inter-city express train between Colombo and the
central town of Kandy was hit from behind by another train
travelling north from the capital.
A French tourist, the engine driver and his assistant
were killed in the mishap, the officials said. Nearly 30
people were also injured and admitted to hospital.
According to local reports, the inter-city train`s
observation car had suffered the bulk of the impact.
Railway officials said a probe has begun on the
Meanwhile, another man was killed in a separate rail
accident in the north central district of Anuradhapura when a
lorry collided with the speeding train at a level crossing
early this morning, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?