Sri Lanka to deport tourist with Buddha tattoo
London: A female British tourist in Sri Lanka has been detained and will be deported for having a Buddha tattoo on her arm, a media report said Tuesday.
Naomi Michelle Coleman was arrested at the Colombo international airport Monday on arrival from India after the airport authorities saw the tattoo of the Buddha sitting on a lotus flower on her right arm, BBC reported.
The authorities found the tattoo to be an insult to Buddhism, the religion of the majority ethnic Sinhalese.
Coleman is being held at an immigration detention camp until her deportation.
Sri Lanka is highly sensitive about images of the Buddha.
Authorities take strict action against depiction of such images.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- This Russian cat adopts baby monkey after his mother abandons him – Watch inspirational video!