Sri Lanka to deport tourist with Buddha tattoo
London: A female British tourist in Sri Lanka has been detained and will be deported for having a Buddha tattoo on her arm, a media report said Tuesday.
Naomi Michelle Coleman was arrested at the Colombo international airport Monday on arrival from India after the airport authorities saw the tattoo of the Buddha sitting on a lotus flower on her right arm, BBC reported.
The authorities found the tattoo to be an insult to Buddhism, the religion of the majority ethnic Sinhalese.
Coleman is being held at an immigration detention camp until her deportation.
Sri Lanka is highly sensitive about images of the Buddha.
Authorities take strict action against depiction of such images.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ